Monday, January 5, 2009

Why I love Kunstler

I have a man-crush on James Howard Kunstler. There. I said it.

Of all the pundits and analysts I've read (and I read a lot) his comments are the only ones that seem to transcend the current hegemony of thought. To a lot of people he seems like some fringe wacko but to me he seem like a modern day Cassandra. (I told you I have a man-crush on him!) Look at his predictions for 2008 and tell me he was wrong. Here is his 2009 post by the way.

So what prompted this post? His blog posting this week focused on our out-going president. I think his concluding paragraph does an amazing job at summarizing the past 8 years:
To me, GWB will remain the perfect representative of his time, place, and culture. During his years in Washington, America became a nation of clowns posturing in cowboy hats, bethinking ourselves righteous agents of Jesus in a Las Vegas of the spirit, where wishing was enough to get something for nothing, where "mistakes were made," but everybody was excused from the consequences of bad choices. ...
Sheer poetry. This guy does not pull any punches. A lot of his conclusion are unsettling and I do hope they are wrong. But I honestly believe he's got his finger on the pulse.

No comments:

Post a Comment