Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Richard Einhorn

This is my second post about a man-crush. This time around, I have a man-crush on Richard Einhorn. It all started with a simple invitation. One of my more musically-inclined co-workers invited me to an oratorio about Charles Darwin called "The Origin." He was performing on the clarinet and offered me discount tickets. He also told me that the piece was composed by Richard Einhorn.

"Who?" I wondered. And then I searched YouTube. Here's what came up:



The Passion of Joan of Arc with Einhorn's Voices of Light. Good god. I listened to all eight parts. I was moved by the film. I was moved by the music. I cried. It was wonderful. It inspired me to spend an afternoon reading about Joan of Arc and this film.

The film was thought to be lost for many years, until it was found in an Oslo mental institution. The story goes that when Richard Einhorn saw it, he thought:, "I must compose a piece to this!" And so "Voices of Light" was born with humble origins as a soundtrack, but so so much more.

Oh, and "The Origin?" Completely amazing as well. There were some performance flaws, but it never detracted from the performance. Great, great stuff. I look forward to finding a recording that I can own!

No comments:

Post a Comment