Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Danburite

I love geology. I love rocks. And I definitely love crystals. Something about the purity of the molecular structure is just so beautiful. This is not me-as-a-New-Age-hippy talking.... this is also me-as-a-trained-geologist.

So I want to talk about one type of crystal that has been "speaking" to me recently: Danburite.

Danburite was first found in Danbury, Connecticut not far from where I grew up. While it looks a lot like quartz (in that both are perfectly clear), Danburite has a beautiful shovel / spade shape to the crystal. And the cross section, instead of a quartz's hexagon, a flattened diamond is found.

I just find the clarity of the crystal to be so calming. I like how it's a bit of an underdog compared to the ubiquity of quartz. In all, it is beautiful, soothing, and calming. And heck, those are definitely qualities I want in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment