Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Wedding Forager

So, what is a wedding forager? I mentioned this in an earlier blog and some people have been asking me this question. Well, if you do a google search you find... erm... my blog. Well then, that is strange. I don't think I'm making this up. I got the idea from our wedding photographer and friend, C.

M and I were talking with C about our color scheme and general wedding ideas. She's done a lot of weddings in her time and is a great source of ideas. I told her how we don't want the typical florist flowers that have been shipped across continents and covered in pesticides. No! We are committed to having a local, slow food type wedding. Our solution? Instead of having a wedding florist, we would have someone pick local wildflowers and use whatever is in season. C provided us with the term "wedding forager."

So I expect the wedding forager to go out the day before and the morning of the ceremony. She (our forager is a she) would find whatever flowers are in season and pick them. We also gave her creative license to forage for anything else that would look good as a center piece. Basically, we are letting nature (and our friend's instincts) tell us what our center pieces will be. We haven't talked boutonnieres yet, but I figure they would be along similar lines.

We already asked Y/M if she would be our forager, and she agreed. I also want to ask Z to be a co-wedding forager. Z is from this area knows many of the local fields intimately. Y/M is not from here, but she has an incredible design eye. I think these two women will make an awesome team.

And that, my friends, is a wedding forager.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds great! It occurred to me that I should contact Karl Frost (our goat manure friend) about wandering his acres.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great idea! :-) You (and Z) are also welcome to harvest from our backyard...!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read your post thinking " that's a nice idea... But do they realize how much work that'll be?" and then realized "oh shit, they're talking about me doing it!

    Alison Frost did the flowers from Kirk & Jeannine's wedding late last august. They were fantastic but she lost a lot of sleep over it. Thank gods you don't have bridesmaids that each need bouquets.

    You're going to get a lot of goldenrod and phlox if my memory of early august in wild fields serves correctly. We should sit down with alison & Jeannine to pick their brains about what advice they'd give and what they'd do differently next time...

    What we might be able to do is plant a cutting garden at 405 westcott this year and pick the flowers we want and plant them. Let's talk.

    Zay

    ReplyDelete